Hurricane season is June 1st - November 30th!
You should stock up on gallons of water, keep your gas tank full, and have an evacuation plan. The best thing to do is to take your pets with you. So you will need to keep your pets' needs in mind. Make sure you have their food, bowls, medications, grooming tools, and some of their toys (help with the stress). You should prepare a pet travel bag (today) that should include travel bowls, a couple toys, a bag of food, grooming tools, and anything else you think you might need. Medications can be stored with your medications or in the travel bag. Keep everything you will need organized so that you don't forget anything important and so that you aren't stumbling around trying to find stuff. If you can't take your pets with you then find someone that can take care of them. If you think you have no choice but to leave them at home contact the ASPCA or a local shelter/rescue group - they might be able help you figure something out and they will give you some good advice.
Basic Disaster Supplies Kit courtesy of ready.gov and FEMA
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Bewaggle is a pet services company located in DeLand, Florida. We offer pet sitting, dog walking, puppy training, basic obedience training, and more. We are bonded and insured, with background checks and references. Be wise... Bewaggle!